Your nephew is a ward of the state of Florida How can you obtain custody?

Answer You are going to have to file a custody petition through Family Court or Domestic Court or Juvenile Court or whatever it's called down there.Be ready for a pretty extensive and intensive background... Read More »

Top Q&A For: Your nephew is a ward of the state of Florida H...

Is there any possibility of you getting primary custody of your ex-husband's nephew if you've both had legal custody of the child since he was 2 days old and the nephew's mother is in prison?

Answer You will need a good lawyer for this and you will have to prove he's an unfit guardian or father. The courts favor leaving the child with their biological parents(s) if possible. If you're... Read More »

If you are raising your nephew and the mother signed away rights and the father has abandoned the child how hard is it to obtain custody?

Answer In such cases the court prefers to award custody to the nearest relative who is deemed acceptable and willing to take the responsibility. The biological mother could not legally "sign away"... Read More »

How does an aunt get custody of her nephew in another state in foster care?

You would need to file a child in need of care motion in that state. But, living out of state could limit your chances.

Can a ward of the state of Florida be emancipated from a legal guardian if they have never been legally adopted?

Yes, you can. Florida has an emancipation statute. The current guardian has to file the petition.