If i am a citizen and my wife is a resident can I adopt my wifes daughter who came to the U.S. legally with a visa but is expired now?

Answer Legally you can not force your child to give up the custody. They are the guardian of their child and not you, no matter how old they are.

Top Q&A For: If i am a citizen and my wife is a resident can...

Can a us citizen adopt a non us citizen child who is sixteen years old who entered the country legally as a visitor?

i shd think so!I don't know your situation, but maybe the 18year old mother should speak to the father, if she hasn't already.Again, i don't know what you've done about it, but maybe, if its your d... Read More »

How do you adopt your wifes daughter?

If the biological father is living, you will probably need his written permission. Then, you file the adoption papers with the court. Use a lawyer to make sure everything is done correctly.

If you are a US citizen and your ex is an illegal alien with an expired visa can you get custody of your child?

Answer Please note that resident status has NOTHING to do with who gets custody of the child. The courts decide custody on several grounds the main one being Who is there for the kids the most: ie... Read More »

You came to the US with a tourist visa but it has expired your sister is an American citizen can she help you legalize your status here?