Can a parent get sole custody even if the court ordered joint custody if the non-custodial parent hasn't been in the kids' lives for 5 years?

Answer You would have to go back to court. Have your attorney file for a modification of custody order. Your ex would be notified through his attorney and would have to answer your allegation.

Top Q&A For: Can a parent get sole custody even if the court...

Does the court ever change a ruling from joint custody to full custody for the custodial parent if the non-custodial parent gives up his visitation?

Answer Because it's almost always in a child's best interest to have a relationship with both parents, courts are generally reluctant to take away visitation rights. In some states, custody order... Read More »

Does non-payment of child support help the custodial parent retain custody if the non-paying parent tries to gain primary custody in court?

Answer This often happens when one ex is angry with the other and it's not about the children at all, but a control issue. Your ex wants to hurt you and the best way to do that is through the chil... Read More »

Is a parent with joint custody the same as a custodial parent?

Parents with joint custody share all rights and responsibilities when it comes to the children of the marriage. They must make major decisions (i.e. medical, education, etc.) concerning the child. ... Read More »

In Texas can a 16-year-old move out of the custodial parent's house into the non-custodial parent's house before going to court for a change of custody?

Answer No. The 16 year old must wait until the case is settled.Legally, no, but it is highly unlikely the court would order the minor to return to the custodial parent's home unless the non custod... Read More »